Air Scoop

Technical and Repair Discussions

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:21 am
I'm hoping some people are willing to share thoughts / history on the bodywork update allowed below. I ask as I just bought a car and have found myself fixing way too many body issues right now and question if it is needed (my car has this and I'm thinking it should not).

j. Optional Bodywork Modification:
Viewing the tail section of the car from behind, draw a vertical line at the left and right ends of the outer vents from the bottom edge of the bodywork up to a point two (2) inches below the crease at the lower edge of the vented panel. Make a vertical cut at each line. The horizontal cut is to be one (1) inch below the crease at the base of the vented panel. Leave a one (1) inch radius at each corner. Air Scoop (P/N F0190000) must be installed in conjunction with rear cutout per Enterprises installation instructions.

The update seems to be on < half of the cars at the Runoffs and nobody who qualified above 8th so clearly it isn't a must have option. What was the reason enterprises added it, is anybody willing to share changes in performance noticed after making the modification? Are people using the scoop to duct air to something or just leave it open? In my uneducated head it seems that this will take air off one side of the rear "wing" reducing any downforce (do these cars make any?) and potentially helping drag. If this is correct I have no clue if this is good or bad in general or at specific tracks.....
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/denny.stripling
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:47 pm
It's designed to help cooling. Since I bought a new tail and did not cut it out, my engine has been running hotter. If you are not in the south I can't imagine there's much if any value in the modification.
North-type guys?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:11 pm
I run the cutout and the scoop. But I have a tail that may be original from conversion.
I noticed, last race, how many cars don't run the cut out. If I noticed...I must have been behind them...if that is any indication.

H.(coolest guy on track...apparently)B.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:11 am
SRF27 wrote:... nobody who qualified above 8th so clearly it isn't a must have option.

Now everybody to going put theirs back to the original. :)

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:34 am
Better aerodynamically on fast tracks (as much as these tails are "aerodynamic") but you do sacrifice cooling. Have been running with the "Renault" configuration for quite some time and haven't really had heat related issues, though that may our climate (hot in Summer, but not very humid).
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:16 am
Has anyone actually done back to back testing of tails from a drag standpoint? Swap out with someone and check end of straight top speed? Aero can be counter intuitive sometimes so I would think this should be published info.
Last edited by adambrouillard on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:08 pm
If you really want to go fast, leave the darn thing off... :)
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions