Doing an engine/transmission pull.

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:33 am
Never done one before, but don't worry, it's not my car. :D

I've got the Mumm Bros. write up covering the combined engine/trans removal. I don't see anything too intimidating there.

In this case we only need the transmission removed (for an overhaul). Is there a shortcut for just pulling the trans, or will it require full engine pull, then separating the trans from the engine?

Second, I'm wondering ifwe can do this without an engine lift. I have a hydraulic lift and with a ceiling-mounted line I should be able to drop the car out from under the engine. I could also pick up a $200 Harbor Freight engine lift but that consumes half the benefit of the DIY engine pull!
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:47 am
Transmission removal requires engine removal, unless you choose to use the "saw-zall" or "cutting torch" methods. Those only work well the first time.

Like swimming pools, you don't necessarily want to own an engine crane....but simply be on good terms with someone who does. Same rule holds true for 4-pad scales, plasma cutters, bump-steer gauges...and a long list of unmentionables.

A Miata guy just called yesterday (really...) to borrow my engine crane. Not sure where my scales are right now. The tow dolly that lives in my woods (aka "the communal tow dolly") has disappeared again. Lesson - be careful about which side of the equation (as laid out in paragraph II, above) you're on.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:01 pm
We have two cranes, three if you count our MSR "portable". Auto parts stores sell them as a kit with an engine stand. Think we paid < $100 for ours. I imagine the shipping cost is more than the mfg. cost. Which is probably why I just discovered a set "abandoned" in our storeroom. :)
The sets are < $100, but if you are using a lift, the Fenske one can come in handy because you can move the car up and down while the engine is supported.
Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:31 pm
Pep Boys has a $125 engine hoist. Can't beat that.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:00 pm
BTW, Greg, I met someone you know at Thunderhill. His name is Dean, said something about "windandwaves" or "windandwater". You've been doing a good job promoting the class!

Also, Kragen / O'Riley / Schucks loans out tools for free. I think you can even keep them for months...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:02 pm
dave wrote:BTW, Greg, I met someone you know at Thunderhill. His name is Dean, said something about "windandwaves" or "windandwater". You've been doing a good job promoting the class!

Also, Kragen / O'Riley / Schucks loans out tools for free. I think you can even keep them for months...

Buddha! Dean's a great guy. He's a purist and will eventually see the inevitable truth that street cars are for the street.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:56 pm
That's what I mean about good job, he said he'd decided not to put a cage in his Miata because of you... :)
Dave Harriman
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:14 pm
dave wrote:That's what I mean about good job, he said he'd decided not to put a cage in his Miata because of you... :)

I have a bunch of tin-top racer friends. I love all their cars, but when I get a chance to get in one (and occasionally drive one) I usually find something like a vent, or a climate control knob, or cigarett lighter, and I ask, "What's this do?" The answer is something like, "That the ____ it's really hard to take out."

Then I ask why people would take a perfectly good street car and try to tear out all the stuff necessary to make it a good race car, when you can buy a race car that started as nothing, and had stuff added to make it a perfect race car.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:51 pm
Exactly.

One more thing, I think it says on the Mumm Bros. site, but a chain or balance adjuster is very handy when pulling an engine...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1027

Dave Harriman

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:25 pm
that one is cheap, but you will like this one better:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kti-63423/overview/
Next

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions