shock eye replacement

Technical and Repair Discussions

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:54 pm
I am working on replacing several of the shock eyes on the shocks. Any tricks to "pressing" them off and installing new ones? thanks!! Frank

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:59 pm
Which type are you working on? Koni's have a snap type ring. I think Penskes do too. Have not changed one yet in penske. Look at http:// http://www.penskeshocks.com/files/Adjustable_Manual.pdf
there is a pic break down of shock that is not ours but eye let may be the same.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:17 pm
Thank you Tony. I have the Penskes and they also have a snap ring. I was just getting "nervous" about how the press in the shock eye. The shock eye is hard steel and the shock ends are soft aluminum. Could I use a vise? Or do I need to use my bearing press. I thought about maybe heating the shock to loosen the shock eye?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:58 am
Will like I said I never done one on a Penske yet. On Koni's it will just push right out. I would place shock on socket little bigger then the eyelet. Then another socket small enough to just fit eyelet and tap litely. To see if it will move easy. May need to place something under shock to keep it level.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:17 pm
I used my bearing press - but you do need to be careful that the bearing doesn't get cocked and gouge its way into the shock eye.

One of the problems is the lack of nice flat circumference all around the upper shock eye. After wandering around the hardware store looking for something to use as a base to press against, I ended-up using an electrical conduit nipple. I filed-out part of the nipple to accomodate the round "stem" of the shock eye so that the rest of the shock eye was square on the circumference of the nipple.

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:12 pm
Tony, Ed, thank you. I ended up using two sockets. Definately a job for patience! Frank

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions