Vented rotors interfered with caliper bracket.

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:46 pm
Photo tells the story. Any ideas other than grind it back a little more?

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:30 pm
Are you sure you had everything on straight? I had no problem just putting them on, other than the thickness of the pads themselves....
Dan

Formerly Teamwork Motorsports #99, Chassis #460
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:09 am
I took apart two corners to figure out where there was a variance in offset. Best I can tell, it is where the hub enters the upright. The gap (red arrows below) is about 3-4 mm narrower in my right rear corner vs. left rear. (Photo is the left rear.) This puts the RR rotor further inboard, which put it in contact with the caliper bracket (which may also be a couple of millimeters off). (The hub spins fine, so the bearing is not dorked.)

With the new rotors and new pads, there is very little room for variance.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:16 am
Are you sure the bearing is pressed all the way in? That would happen if the retaining ring was broken or not there for some other reason. (Don't ask me how I know. :) )

Dave
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:59 am
Greg,

I thought I drilled you in the RR last race at Summit Point when Greg spun in three and block us up. You sure the everything is straight back there. I suspect the upright is bent, was thay chunk of venter rotor layin on the track from your car?. If you need another knuckle, even as a test fit, I have some ready to go on the truck.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:34 am
Dog Licked Racing wrote:Greg,

I thought I drilled you in the RR last race at Summit Point when Greg spun in three and block us up. You sure the everything is straight back there. I suspect the upright is bent, was thay chunk of venter rotor layin on the track from your car?. If you need another knuckle, even as a test fit, I have some ready to go on the truck.

Must've been someone else. You and I didn't "meet" at Summit that weekend. The rotor was from another wreck on the front straight.

I will (as Dave suggests) make sure the bearing is seated. I am always willing to assume I screwed something up, but this hub was R&R by a CSR over the winter and I've run 4 races since, without any issues.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:48 pm
I just replaced all my hubs (new FF hubs) and bearings over the weekend, I'll double check for similar clearance issues

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:53 pm
Could that knuckle be assembled with a "wrong" bearing, allowing the hub to sit too deep?
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:56 am
Dog Licked Racing wrote:Could that knuckle be assembled with a "wrong" bearing, allowing the hub to sit too deep?

That would certainly explain it but it seems unlikely.

Here's video I decided to take. It looks like the inboard side of the bearing is fine (retaining ring in place), so the hub is just in-set. Contrary to what I say on the video, I am going to pull it apart (probably ruin the bearing!) put in a new bearing and see what gives.

http://vimeo.com/67077957
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:06 pm
SOLVED!!!

I took apart the upright and found the problem. The retaining ring (wire) had apparently not been properly seated in the groove cut in the upright. It was gradually forced inward by the bearing, about 2-3 mm. I'm not sure how it ultimately would have failed, but thankfully I will not find out.

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions