Radiator Change

Technical and Repair Discussions

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:25 pm
What do you put back in a new radiator, just water or water and Water Wetter? Thank You
This car was Steve Fenskes first spec racer car, so we want to keep it nice.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:19 am
Antifreeze is legal in the class; you should not use water alone as you will have corrosion issues (WaterWetter is effectively antifreeze). Some antifreeze also provides additional high temperature protection.
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:06 pm
Anyone ever tried the waterless stuff? Never heard of it till I saw it on Wheeler Dealers.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:04 pm
If you use Antifreeze in your radiator and puck coolant on the track, you will have some very mad drivers, it just like an oil slick. Use Waterweter and leave the antifreeze in your street car where it belongs, not on the track.

I've seen a dozen cars fly off, one after another in turn two at Mosport because of a spec racer Ford that ran antifreeze, I won't mention the name of the offending party.

Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:33 pm
Just watch my video from NJ Major- nearly full track with line of antifreeze- Think I was one of only a few that did not go off- unfortunately I need to figure out how to post a small snippet from my mac
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:33 pm
Robert Mumm wrote:If you use Antifreeze in your radiator and puck coolant on the track, you will have some very mad drivers, .

I just lost 45 seconds of my life trying to Google research "puck coolant." You meant PUKE coolant. :oops:

I know more than one established, respected person-who-would-know-better, who uses coolant mix. It surprised me when I heard it, but I assumed there was a good reason to go against the general rule.

Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:51 pm
Most readily available anti-freezes are primarily ethylene glycol. It is slippery and toxic if consumed internally. It is legal but please don't use it. I'm told it doesn't clean up easily, which makes the slipperiness especially troublesome for the rest of us. There are a few anti-freezes that are primarily propylene glycol. It is hardly any more slippery than water and cleans up nearly as easily. Your dog also won't die from ingesting it. I use WaterWetter too, but that is just to provide an extra margin of cooling efficiency in case (when) my nose gets closed up inadvertently. Which almost never happens...

Michael Hausknecht (NE#60)
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:25 am
Good point and I should have noted that I prefer to use Peak from Sierra, which is propylene glycol-based, primarily due to environmental-friendliness. The downside is that propylene glycol (at least according to an article by WaterWetter) is actually slipperier than ethylene based antifreezes in what they refer to as "dynamic friction". The other interesting point is to reduce the ratio as much as possible (minimum 20%) primarily to add cold weather protection (AF also adds additional temperature protection vs. plain water or a WaterWetter mix.) http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Service ... h_info.htm
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions