?Race Prep Shops So Cal?

Technical and Repair Discussions

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:35 am
Does anyone know of a race prep shop in Southern or Central California that can do chassis setup on the RSR that I race with VARA? I've only had the car out a couple of times, but The tires are wearing much more on the inside. Or do I just need to go faster? I have Toyo RA1s on now, but next race I am switching to my favorite R888s. I am not bound to the spec tire obviously.
I am reasonably adept mechanically. Is this something I should be doing?
I appreciate the advice. Bill Pierce, Lompoc, CA
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
068 415
Facebook Page:
http://facebook.com/HSERacing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 am
MBI Racing at Buttonwillow can probably help...
Dave Harriman
"It looks crazy, I understand. But, we only live once and I am going to give it a good try." - Alex Zanardi

Novice Typer
Novice Typer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:44 pm
dave wrote:MBI Racing at Buttonwillow can probably help...

My Home Track, Thanks
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Chassis:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:13 pm
What's your camber settings. On the RSR, I recall that we had relatively modest camber settings (~3.0 degrees; a bit less in the back and more in the front as I recall), especially compared to the Ford settings. You might want to straighten the camber up a bit to reduce inside wear, although it's the nature of the car setup to have more inside wear. RA1's should be able to run down to the point where there's no tread showing; R888's should be about the same (I've run both on a Ford setup in non-SCCA competition and both last quite a while - we ran the 25 hours of Thunderhill on the RA1 and got through 16 hours on an unshaved set and the rest of the race on a shaved set and that's with a heavier Ford.)

I would recommend seeking out some help and also endorse Dave's recommendation just to ensure that the rest of the package is OK (that would involve caster, bump, shocks, toe, etc.) I'm betting someone still has a good Renault setup sheet lying around somewhere in the shop. :-)
Bob Breton - SRF 51 - San Francisco Region

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions