Fuel cell removal

Technical and Repair Discussions
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:02 pm
A trick I learned from my drag racing brother is to use paper paint filters that are given to me when I buy auto paint - I cut mine to fit my plastic funnel. If they are good enough to filter paint for my paint gun, they have to be good for our fuel when filling. I change them out once a year or so when I remember.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:43 am
markfickenscher wrote:A trick I learned from my drag racing brother is to use paper paint filters that are given to me when I buy auto paint - I cut mine to fit my plastic funnel. If they are good enough to filter paint for my paint gun, they have to be good for our fuel when filling. I change them out once a year or so when I remember.

I have it on good authority (a CSR that's never wrong!) that this inlet filter should be good for 3+years. The pump-with-filter is apparently used on Ford 5.0s and is well proven. I plan on screening all fuel on intake anyway.

Although I do wonder about the need for the in-line filter between the pump and the injectors.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:48 pm
Greg:
Once one installs the in-tank pump, the current inline filter isn't used anymore (on the current 1.9 motor)? Am I reading this correctly? Mine is sitting in my shop waiting for a new fuel cell before I change over. And I am wondering if the inline filter would be used at all on the Gen 3.
Mark Fick
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well shit that didn't work'
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:08 am
The post pump filter I believe is used on the Gen3, if not is needs to be! The challenge might be dealing with a maintenance part inside a fuel cell, a point of failure that is introduced, and one of low cost other than the time, expense, and risks with correcting it?

Q: If this pump/filter is used in Ford Production cars why do we have to service the filter ever? It would seem if this unit is used in regular production cars it would have to be serviced, what multiple times a year in a regular car. Based on this it doesn't seem possible anyone could run enough fuel through a SRF in its life time to match a production street car, or is my logic off?? Or do we just use different much worse fuel than street cars, full of dirt. Servicing the filter should not be even considered unless it is time to replace the cell.
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Chassis:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:53 am
GSR00 wrote:The post pump filter I believe is used on the Gen3, if not is needs to be! The challenge might be dealing with a maintenance part inside a fuel cell, a point of failure that is introduced, and one of low cost other than the time, expense, and risks with correcting it?

Q: If this pump/filter is used in Ford Production cars why do we have to service the filter ever? It would seem if this unit is used in regular production cars it would have to be serviced, what multiple times a year in a regular car. Based on this it doesn't seem possible anyone could run enough fuel through a SRF in its life time to match a production street car, or is my logic off?? Or do we just use different much worse fuel than street cars, full of dirt. Servicing the filter should not be even considered unless it is time to replace the cell.

Thing is, there can be crap inside the fuel can you're filling from. Not mention some stuff that may sneak in downstream in the fuel cell full hose.
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Chassis:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:13 pm
I'm thinking about how much a PITA it's going to be having an in-tank fuel pump failure at the track!

I'm sure that the in-tank pump is far more reliable, but everything fails and Murphy says it will do so at the worst possible moment. (Of course, that's not true, but we certainly remember failures more indelibly when they happen at the worst possible moment!)

I can envision plumbing the hoses and electrics such that our current external pump could be dropped-in as a temporary stop-gap, but that brings-up several questions: legality, deliverability for the Gen3, and, will the in-tank pump allow pass-through if it fails.

Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:05 pm
Ed

I don't think it will allow fuel to flow. I used to drain my cell by jacking the car up and disconnecting the line at the old prefilter. After installing the in cell pump, I disconnected the line and nothing comes out.
It's better to be last on the grid at a race track, than have pole position at the Funeral Home.
Previous

Return to Technical and Repair Discussions